Saturday, February 19, 2011

February 20

Chapter 17

The Rule of Benedict February 20

Sister Joan ends her commentary on this chapter admonishing us to consider the material we commit to memory.  I think of the loads of songs with which I can sing along or whole scenes of dialog from Monty Python and the Holy Grail I often recite unbidden.

In October of 2009, I was driving home with Jana from northern AZ on a Tuesday at noon, the hour of Sext, which I had prayed each Tuesday for a year previous.  We had our breviary with us, and so we prayed together in the van.  To my surprise, I found that I had no trouble following along while looking straight ahead.  I had accidentally memorized the Office.

To spin Sr. Joan's question in a positive light, what components of our prayer life have made their way into our memory without us realizing it?  I imagine that the answer would surprise us.

No comments:

Post a Comment