Tuesday, February 5, 2013

February 5

Chapter 7 pt. 12

The Rule of St. Benedict February 5


The eighth step of humility is to release one's grip on the great big steering wheel by which a human being is directed.  Plainly and simply, it is to relinquish one's say in the hows of one's life.  But why would someone do such a thing?  What could possibly motivate me to limit my personal freedom to the extent that I "do nothing except what is commended by the common Rule . . . and the example of the elders"?

The answer that I have to offer from my life mirrors much of Sr. Joan's commentary for today.  I was motivated to submit myself in obedience to a catholic and Benedictine path because I caught a glimpse of the limits of my own lights and witnessed others being guided along this path into the "darkness" beyond what I knew.  What I perceived in these others is a holiness and a wisdom that my soul longs to embody, but that I had no clue how to pursue.  And so I took one step, then another, and another in their footprints over the course of years.  The path became gradually clearer, my pace quickened, and I was led into a beautiful world I would never have discovered had I remained convinced that what I could see and understand is all that holds value for me.

Br. Chad 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment