Saturday, March 30, 2013

March 30

Holy Saturday

There are times when liturgical time must take a priority over other schedules, and the four month cycle of reading the Rule is not intended to fit into the Church Year in any particular way.  I will, then, set today's reading aside to honor this Holy Saturday.

From an ancient homily for Holy Saturday:

Today there is a great silence over the earth, for the King sleeps.  
The earth has trembled and fallen still, for the Lord sleeps in his fleshly nature; 
in the netherworld his is arousing those who have slept for ages.  
God is dead in the flesh, and has shaken Sheol to its foundations.

He goes to seek our first parent like a lost sheep.
"I bid you: Awake sleeper! I did not create you to lie bound in hell.
Arise from the dead, for I am life to those who have died.
Rise up, work of my hands, my likeness, made in my image.
Rise, let us go hence.

"For your sake I put on your lowly shape.
For your sake I came to earth and to the underworld.
See the spittle on my face--
it was for you, that you might have the breath of life again.
See my cheeks reddened by the blows--
it was for you, that you might be remade in my image.
See my torn back--
it was for you, that I might take the burden of sin from your shoulders.
See the nail-marks in my hands--
it was for you, because once you put your hand to the forbidden tree.

"Arise, let us go hence.  
I have a heavenly throne prepared for you,
and the cherubim shall bow down before you."

Br. Chad 2013


No comments:

Post a Comment