Wednesday, March 16, 2011

March 17

Feast of St. Patrick


Chapter 38

The Rule of Benedict March 17

This chapter provided the occasion for my first unintentional crossing of a boundary between our lay order and the rest of St. Brigid's Community.  It was a good wake up call for me to hear the voices of those who are very much a part of St. Brigid's who are not keen on having their experience within the community directed by the Rule of Benedict.  As surprising as I found this dynamic among my fellow community members, it's important to keep in mind that not everyone has taken a vow to "serve God and all people according to the Rule of St. Benedict."

I wonder if, upon reflection, we might be able to offer each other and our non-vowed sisters and brothers our own reasons for valuing the Rule.  For my part, I am drawn to the brutally honest, yet deeply compassionate approach to real, tangible spiritual formation in the human being.  I have found that, in submitting myself to the wisdom of Father Benedict, I am changing in real, tangible ways.  How about you?  Why the Rule of Benedict?

No comments:

Post a Comment