Tuesday, April 5, 2011

April 6

Chapter 54

The Rule of Benedict April 6

The value behind the instructions in this chapter, and behind a vow of poverty, is not the glorification of being poor.  Rather, it is a freedom from the need to possess.

When Jana and I attended an Enneagram seminar taught by Richard Rohr in February, I saw this freedom in action.  At the end of the event, as he was closing, he told someone at the back of the room, "If you recorded this and want to make copies to sell, that's fine.  You don't need to give me any money; I'm a Franciscan.  You can give a donation to the Center (for Action and Contemplation), if you want."  When I heard him say this it hit me: he doesn't make money!  All his books and speaking engagements and Richard Rohr doesn't own a thing!

How can we, in our circumstances, find such freedom in our lives?

No comments:

Post a Comment