Thursday, December 29, 2011

December 29

Chapter 71

The Rule of Benedict December 29

In my reading of the Gospel of Mark this morning during lectio, I witnessed Jesus in Gethsemane fully owning his emotions and desires, bringing them before his Abba whom he trusts, and fully releasing them with, "yet, not what I want, but what you want."

Benedict states in this chapter that the road of obedience brings us to God, and I perceive that the road Jesus walked in Gethsemane is the same road we all must walk among our own particular emotions and desires.

Here are thoughts from April:

Benedictine obedience comes down the point at which we, in the thick of our emotions, desires, and will, submit to another.  It is a painfully difficult practice.  It requires the laying down of whatever story I tell myself that places me in the possession of what is right.  And at no time are the feelings of being right stronger than when I am in conflict.  Yet it is precisely at this point that Benedict instructs us to quickly and decisively put aside excuses and blame. 

Next time you find yourself being offended, imagine what it would take to extend a blessing rather than a rebuttal or a curse.  And next time you find yourself having given offense, imagine setting aside explanations and asking for unqualified forgiveness.  This is the inner freedom that Benedict seeks to cultivate in us.

No comments:

Post a Comment