Sunday, July 29, 2012

Every Pilgrim's Jerusalem

Sermon preached on 29 July 2012, The Ninth Sunday after Pentecost, Proper 12 at St. Augustine's Episcopal Parish in Tempe, Arizona.


Every Pilgrim's Jerusalem



1. Dublin
I find something very exhilarating in the act of stepping out onto a street in an unfamiliar city with my only bag on my back, boots on my feet, and the address of my place of lodging in my hand.  On the morning of July 11th, the Airport bus dropped Jana and me off at the corner of Cathal Brugha Street and O’Connell Street Upper near the Dublin City Centre, a gentle drizzle coaxing us off the wide sidewalk to the shelter of the closest eaves in order to examine our unfolded itinerary and get our bearings.  We had to make it to the Maldron Hotel at Parnell Square where we had a room booked for that night, and where we would meet Fr. Gil and Cathy, who had arrived the day before. 

We gathered that we had to move north, asked directions from some friendly passersby, and set off to find our bed that we hoped would be available a couple hours before noon.  After a few wrong turns, a couple more friendly passersby, a free map at the tourist office, and not before my shoulders were aching from the weight of my pack, a fact that had me not a little worried about the next three days of walking, we passed through the glass doors of our hotel a fair bit closer to noon than we expected.  And as if they were waiting just for us, Gil and Cathy rose from their black leather seats in the lobby, and, with smiles and exclamations of welcome to Ireland, embraced us.

2. Jerusalem
Here at St. Augustine’s we’ve heard a lot about pilgrimage over the years, and the topic is especially poignant to us now as Fr. Gil and Cathy make their way from East to West across the Land of Saints and Scholars.  Pilgrimage was central within the spirituality of the Middle Ages throughout all of Europe, and the great medieval masters of the mystical Christian path understood pilgrimage as a symbol of the soul’s journey to its home in the heavenly Jerusalem.  Jerusalem, in other words, is the destination towards which every pilgrim sets her face, no matter upon which earthen trail her feet leave their prints.  And, as the fourteenth century Middle English poem, “Piers Plowman,” says, “Pilgrims are we all.”

Few descriptions of life within this Jerusalem, the true destination of every pilgrim, of every soul, are more detailed than what we find in this morning’s reading from the letter of St. Paul to the Ephesians.  Listen to his words again.

I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth takes its name. I pray that, according to the riches of his glory, he may grant that you may be strengthened in your inner being with power through his Spirit, and that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith, as you are being rooted and grounded in love. I pray that you may have the power to comprehend, with all the saints, what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, so that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.
Now to him who by the power at work within us is able to accomplish abundantly far more than all we can ask or imagine, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen.

The Jerusalem to which I refer is what St. Paul here describes as a reality to be experienced in our “inner being”.  It is a reality saturated with love, the love of Christ that is beyond our knowing, but that dwells within us.  And when we awaken to this love, we are “filled with all the fullness of God”.  If this sounds far-fetched, don’t worry, as all pilgrims know, no one ever gets there by herself.  It is God’s “power at work within us” that delivers us to our destination.

3. False Jerusalems
Most people have mistaken their soul’s true home, the heavenly Jerusalem deep within, for some other reality that seems more tangible, more readily attainable.  In today’s Gospel we witness Jesus retreat from the crowd when he realizes that they intend to “take him by force and make him king.”  This is their response to being fed from the loaves and fishes.  They’ve mistaken the heavenly Jerusalem for a political kingdom wherein their interests have priority.  Now, there’s nothing wrong with oppressed people banding together to affect political change for the sake of their hungry children.   But the path of a bloody revolution in order to transfer power from one set of vested interests to another is not the path of a pilgrim whose face is set towards Jerusalem, the city of peace.

Others mistake the inner Jerusalem for the place where their desires are fulfilled.  In today’s Hebrew Scripture, King David, from his throne in the physical city of Jerusalem, takes advantage of a vulnerable woman and murders her faithful husband for the sake of nothing more than his pleasure and comfort.  David believes that in Jerusalem, what the king wants, the king gets.  But the pilgrim knows that in the true Jerusalem, the one throne in not for him.

4. How to Walk
So we are all pilgrims, and though our feet walk different paths on earth, and though we might lose sight of it, we share a common destination, Jerusalem, Zion, where Christ dwells in multi-dimensional love and where the fullness of God fills our inner being.  How, then, do we walk with our face set toward this goal instead of toward some false Jerusalem?  Well, as one might expect to hear from a preacher in a Christian church, we learn to walk by following Jesus on his own pilgrimage to Jerusalem.

During my time in Ireland, I brought a small journal along.  It was a gift from The Rev. Julie O’Brien, and it didn’t fare well in my pocket on the wettest of our days along the Wicklow Way.  In it I recorded my reflections on the verses I was reading from the Gospel According to St. Luke during my practice of lectio divina of which I’ve spoken before.  On the morning of our first day of walking, I had arrived at verse 51 of Chapter 9, which reads, “When the days drew near for him to be taken up, he set his face to go to Jerusalem.”  This oriented me to see my journey, my pilgrimage, through the lens of Jesus’ own pilgrimage to Jerusalem.  After our first day of walking, on a rainy morning in a youth hostel at Knockree, I read verses 57 and 58: “As they were going along the road, someone said to him, ‘I will follow you wherever you go.’  And Jesus said to him, ‘Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head.’”  In silent prayer, as I sat with these words, I saw the fox in me saunter along the way I walked— plotting, detailed, cautious, competent.  Then I saw the bird in me flutter down onto the path and back up into a tree—carefree, unfettered, irresponsible.  These are two ways of being a pilgrim: to plan every step, like a fox, or to “wing it,” like a bird.  But the Son of Man is not a pilgrim in either idiom.  Unlike a bird, Jesus has his clear destination, but unlike a fox, he does not control every detail of the journey.  If we are to walk our pilgrimage in the idiom of the Son of Man, we must set our clear intention “to go to Jerusalem” as we release our hold on the plans and expectations we carry with us.  If that sounds scary, this is one reason G.K. Chesterton wrote, “Christianity has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and not tried.”

5. Kildare
Our three days of walking delivered us to the ancient monastic city of Glendalough, and we spent Sunday among its many churches and scenic lakes.  We celebrated Mass in the ruins of St. Mary’s Church, just outside of the old monastery wall, and we walked to where we could see St. Kevin’s bed from across the water of the Upper Lake.  We felt peaceful, and a little sad walking among so many ruins of what was once a living and vibrant spiritual community.  We also had trouble orienting ourselves to the fact that we still had four days to spend in Ireland even though our time of walking the Wicklow Way had ended.  On Monday morning, we said goodbye to Gil, and Cathy drove us to Kildare where we planned to spend two nights in the city where St. Brigid founded her double monastery for women and men in the 5th Century.  After a lovely lunch at a pub on the town square, we said goodbye to Cathy, and set off with our packs to find our Bed and Breakfast, which we knew was located at 1 Dara Park in Kildare.  It was just two blocks away, much easier to find than our hotel in Dublin, and we were shown to our room upstairs. 

Months before we left for the Emerald Isle, Gil had lent me a small book that he had bought five years ago when he had last visited Kildare.  It was written and published by the Brigidine Sisters, two of whom lived in a house somewhere in Kildare Town.  Jana asked me what I wanted to do with the rest of our afternoon, and I pulled the book out of my pack to see if we could figure out where the sisters’ house was located with the hope that maybe we could take a walk over, see if anyone was home, and say hello.  I turned the book over and saw that Solas Bhríde, which means, “the light of Brigid,” and is the name of their house, was located at 14 Dara Park, just a few houses down from the room in which we sat.

Five minutes later, as we walked, hand in hand, from the sidewalk toward the front door of Solas Bhríde, we exchanged smiles with a face in the front window and were met at the door by Sr. Mary Minehan, who welcomed us inside as though she was waiting just for us.  She asked our names, took our coats, and showed us into the small chapel where we sat in three chairs of a dozen arranged in a circle.  In the corner of the room burned a candle, which is the literal Solas Bhríde, which the Brigidines re-kindled at the Kildare Town Square in 1993.  Sr. Mary smiled, looked each of us in the eyes, and said, “I can tell that you pray.” 

At that moment I knew that I had found what I had come to Ireland seeking.  I saw reflected in the eyes of a living daughter of St. Brigid the work of a power that had accomplished within me far more than I could ask or imagine.  I felt that I was sitting before a window through which I saw my first glimpse of Jerusalem.  And as we sat together, drinking tea and talking, I began to awaken to the love of Christ, which seemed to fill every corner of the space we shared.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment