Tuesday, July 10, 2012

July 10

Chapter 32

The Rule of St. Benedict July 10

I have just spent the last 1/2 hour test packing and repacking my one item of luggage that will travel on my back from Dublin to Glendalough.  I don't often think of what is truly necessary among my possessions until I think of carrying them a long distance.  Jana and I leave in few hours for our pilgrimage to Ireland where we will walk the first three days of the Wicklow Way.  We will also visit Kildare and spend some time in Dublin.  I will attempt to keep posting on this blog, but it may prove too difficult given our lodging at various points.

This chapter is strangely relevant to my experience of preparing to leave for Ireland.  I have had to consider carefully what to bring that will help facilitate my vows, which are not suspended just because I am traveling.  It has felt almost like consigning precious items to a trusted brother.

I have rolled up the items of my habit and packed them tightly among my other clothes, something I wasn't sure I would do until this morning.  I am taking all of my prayer books, which sounds silly and heavy, but I have a vision of offering my same daily prayers in St. Kevin's Church or in St. Brigid's Cathedral, or in the ruins of some ancient monastery.  I have my small crucifix and icon of our Holy Father Benedict that will accompany me among the heather and bog back to the chapels of my home.  These things are the "tools and property" of my monastery.

Br. Chad 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment