Tuesday, October 16, 2012

October 16

Chapter 13 pt. 1

The Rule of St. Benedict October 16


No matter what arrangement of the Psalms one uses in praying the Daily Office, it becomes clear rather quickly that one cannot expect to mirror every sentiment or idea expressed in each Psalm with the present state of one's emotions and beliefs.  Attempting to do so is a recipe for cognitive and emotional dysfunction.  Our Father Benedict is not urging us, like some 6th Century praise and worship leader, to "Sing it like you mean it!" when he arranges Psalm 67 right next to Psalm 51 each morning.

This is not to say that both Psalm 67 and Psalm 51 cannot speak to us each and every morning.  But the way in which they communicate is not necessarily by means of our personal sentiments and beliefs.  When I take the Psalms upon my lips, it is not St. Benedict's intention that I "mean" every word in the way our culture conceives of earnest feelings and beliefs.  The Psalms are intended to connect all of me, body, soul, and spirit, to a world that is much larger than my personal experience and conscious awareness.  I see this connection taking place in two distinct ways that I will touch upon tomorrow.

Br. Chad 2012

1 comment:

  1. When my heart and mind are willing to learn I will learn, even if only a little on any specific day.
    This is another reason for me to stay in the conversation of prayer, study and working in service to God. Not everyday feels like a kiss me on the cheek blessing.
    Sometimes the prayer and lecto divina have brought me to a great wall with a high arch and an iron gate I have only with my willingness to push open and walk through.
    But there is the moment when I feel the loss of what lies behind me, as I look through the gate into the new, beautiful and lush valley that is before me. I must choose to step forward, push the gate open feeling its weight against my hand as I move forward into what I feel or understand as my next step of fulfilling my calling from God.
    But, in my human nature, I turn to see one last time what is behind and perhaps long for the glory of another time. I know at the same time that to stay here, on this side of the gate, would become a dead space of stale air and to live in a spiritual land that languishes beneath the weight of the past.

    So, I push the gate open and walk through...
    Being daily in the Psalms and prayer is so very much a part of our preparation for pushing the gate open and walking through into what God has for us. These actions bring us to the gate of change, give us the strength and wisdom to push the gate open, and to walk into the next step of our calling into the lush, green valley of creativity and spiritual awakening.

    Praise God!
    Br. Rawleigh

    ReplyDelete