Thursday, October 18, 2012

October 18

St. Luke the Evangelist

Chapter 14

The Rule of St. Benedict October 18


Another aspect of the "outside" connection that the Psalms provide is the fact that generation upon generation, going back long before Jesus, has sung the Psalms in its own time as a part of its daily prayers.  St. Luke, arguably the only gentile author of Scripture, likely chanted the Psalter in Greek from memory during his years with the imprisoned St. Paul.  The Psalms are a very tangible connection to the Communion of Saints among whom we walk the Christian path.

I feel supported and comforted to know that my heroes of the faith, including my patron Saints Chad of Mercia and Joseph, husband of St. Mary, took these words daily upon their own lips in prayer to God.  In this way, the Psalms contribute to my conception of catholicity.  It is as though I stand in an ancient river flowing slowly, steadily, forcefully, to meet me, the water having touched the hands and feet of my sisters and brothers who have gone before and continuing on its course far beyond me.

Br. Chad 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment