Wednesday, January 19, 2011

January 20

Chapter 4 pt. 3

The Rule of Benedict January 20 #44-55

Today's thoughts are concerning #44-55 at the link above. 


In the biblical tradition, the Judgment of God is a great hope to be invoked by the people of God.  It is invoked, at its worst, as a punishment of enemies or as a means of control.  In its best form, the hope is in a Reality that frees us from the need to be judge, a posture that reflects back upon us and a condition that profoundly clouds our vision (Matt. 7:1-5).  When God is Judge, I don't need to be.  I can accept what is as it is.

How often do my thoughts and my words seek to manipulate what is?  How often does my laughter help me to avoid the uncomfortable, formative moment?

2 comments:

  1. This reading has been with me all day, as it really made an impression on me when I read it in the morning. Driving home from Church tonight I thought again of that startling line, in which Benedict instructs us to "dash [our evil thoughts] against Christ." I remember reading this line the first time and being equally awestruck. I feel as though I have just now begun to wonder about what that might mean and what it might look like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love this image. In another translation I'm reading it's put, "cast them down at the feet of Christ." By no means do I intend to put an end to your own wondering, dear Ruth, but let me share with you my experience of this activity, which is as a profoundly relational one.

    I find myself, daily, falling prey to habits of thought and emotion that are at home in my small, egoic mind instead of in God's large, unitive mind. I become impatient, overwhelmed, contemptuous, defensive, and, at the core, lonely. When I am given the grace to recognize this in myself, if I turn the attention of my soul to the Master (Christ), I find him to be as close as my breath: patient, at peace, kind, generous, and hospitable. At that point I usually find on my lips the request, "O God, come to my assistance. O Lord, make haste to help me," or something very similar.

    ReplyDelete