Sunday, September 2, 2012

September 2

Prologue pt. 2

The Rule of St. Benedict September 2

Our Father Benedict seeks here to inspire a disposition of urgent attention in the hearts of his disciples.  This urgency is set against our own lethargy and tendency to harden our hearts to the light and voice of God.  It is set against procrastination and ambivalence, the thought that we can get by without giving our all.

St. Benedict strikes this tone at the outset of the Rule because one's disposition at the beginning of a journey sets one's course.  As we begin again, let us do so with earnest, eager, urgent attention to what the Spirit is saying in the actual circumstances of our real lives.

Br. Chad 2012

1 comment:

  1. Brothers and Sisters.

    That which we are seeking is causing us to seek. Somehow, some when, the seed to recognize the divine with in us was planted...perhaps even before birth. I can remember wanting to know about mystical things, even when very young.
    I liked creepy movies as a child or movies about Missionaries or Priests in a foreign land. I loved the Singing Priests that drew whole neighborhoods together and re-created harmony among the people of the streets and the members of the congregation who had been frightened of change.
    Folks who went on great spiritual pilgrimages, climbing high up snow covered mountains to find God really inspired me.
    I traveled through various religious belief systems, seeking the mystic thrill of the moment, making no lasting commitment to any of them, and then leaving them behind as they had in my opinion dried up and were no longer a good fit for me. As soon as the experience didn't feel shivery in my spine, I would move on...and on..and.on.
    The commitment that I have made to live as a Novice for one year, in the Canon Community of Annunciation of Mary, is becoming a safe place to learn how to be a spiritual man and continue to explore the mysteries of God.
    I am seeking deeper relationship with God, and God, by calling me to seek Him/Her self is causing me to seek Divine Presence.
    I am really excited and challenged to learn the nature of Jesus more deeply in my life than ever before.
    I am blessed that you all are part of this journey.
    Peace and Light
    Br. Rawleigh

    ReplyDelete