Tuesday, September 4, 2012

September 4

Prologue pt. 4

The Rule of St. Benedict September 4

Our Father Benedict continues here to demonstrate from Scripture the conditions in which God is at home, both in the human soul and in a community.  But, he instructs, it is vitally important that neither the soul nor the community develop pride as a result of its purity.  Yes, we must cast temptations from the sight of our hearts and dash them against Christ before they take hold in our soul and/or community, but it is imperative that we simultaneously cultivate the humility that attributes no glory to ourselves, but to the Name of God alone.

Heartfelt good intentions are not enough, if we hope to dwell within God's tent.  Without faith, relational trust in the presence and work of God, our efforts become the tools of our pride.  Our "goodness" becomes the property of our self-interest.  Yet, truly good works flow from a life surrendered to the order of God's household.

Our Father Benedict seeks to establish such an order in our daily lives.  By it, through the grace of God, we are slowly formed into people who dwell in God's tent, who are fully at home where God is at home.

Br. Chad 2012

1 comment:

  1. Hello Family, Brothers and Sisters:
    This Passage of the rule reminds me that Sincerity without action is only empty , pretty words.
    I have been so Sincere in the past within my thoughts and my spoken words as I committed to my self to a project such as losing weight or donating money to a cause. But, then never quite got around to finishing what was begun with every idea of being magnificent in the victory of accomplishing my quest, what ever it was.
    But I took no actions to make it happen or I would pretend that I was waiting for god to tell me what to do next, when the direction and need were clear.
    Sister Joan here explains that we must not only speak or position on a a topic such as Homelessness or other terrible living conditions in which people barely survive, but to help create a plan to aide those in need.

    I had to decide whether the words I spoke to other people were important to me or not. Where does my integrity lie? People know me by whether or not I keep my word. Trust is built between us in this way.
    I ask you help in the walking in and fulfilling my commitment to reach out to those around me, create a stable and regular, strong spiritual life, and in the Prayers and work of God. It is my desire to see and know the full value of life in The Rule of St. Benedict.
    Peace and Possibilities,
    Bro Rawleigh
    ,

    ReplyDelete