Saturday, August 18, 2012

August 18

Chapter 63 pt. 1

The Rule of St. Benedict August 18

I experienced the system of community ranking at St. Gregory's Abbey during my two weeks there in July of 2011.  What Sr. Joan points out, that the effect of such a ranking is egalitarian given the class system outside the monastery, seemed to ring true.  The places in choir and the seats in the refectory were the only two applications of the ranking that I experienced as a member of the Summer Vocation Program.  I remember an immediate sense of comfort in knowing that my seats were assigned, that I didn't need to jockey for position.  As other vocationers left, I went from the 9th position, to the 6th, to the 3rd, which had the effect in me of deepening my sense of belonging at the monastery rather than any feelings of superiority over those in lower positions.

Today the Community of St. Mary of the Annunciation will gather at our host parish for a retreat.  We will spend the day in prayer, instruction, study, and at table.  I pray that this day will serve to bring us more deeply into our sense of belonging with each other, and that our Father Benedict's intention of a community dynamic that liberates and empowers will be more fully realized in our midst.

Br. Chad 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment