Friday, August 24, 2012

August 24

Feast of St. Bartholomew, the Apostle

Chapter 66

The Rule of St. Benedict August 24

Over the last few weeks I have felt much like the porter at our parish.  The circumstances of my life have shifted so that I am physically at the church for most of the working hours of the week.  I keep the front gate and door open, and when I hear the clicking of the latch, the squeaking of the hinges, and the banging of the heavy wood against the frame down the hall, I rise from my work and stand to greet whomever will appear momentarily at the entrance to the church office.

The disposition of the porter towards the visitor that our Father Benedict describes in this chapter is a tall order to fulfill.  He is not simply interested in a butler's formal, detached politeness, but in a genuine celebration of the presence of Christ in the person of the uninvited guest.  Such a disposition cannot be snapped into place like a clip-on bow tie, but must abide already in one's heart, awaiting the opportunity to be called forth.

The role of the porter offers a view of an inner posture that St. Benedict desires for us all to assume.  It is a posture that receives whatever may come with an eye for where God is in it.  It is a posture that remains free from entanglement within deadlines and agendas to the extent that the Christ has no entry point into our awareness.

Yesterday I welcomed five young college students, one accompanied by her nervous, earnest father, looking to rent a parking space from our parish for the Fall semester.  I also welcomed two people in need of assistance, and I was able to give them food, a bus pass, and a couple grocery gift cards.  I did not explicitly ask them for "A blessing!" like the porter is instructed to do, but three of the guests, as they were leaving, invoked God's blessing upon me nevertheless.

I have a busy day today at the office, lots to get done, but when Christ comes slamming through a red door, I want to rise and receive his blessing.

Br. Chad 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment