Tuesday, August 21, 2012

August 21

Chapter 64 pt. 2

The Rule of St. Benedict August 21

This passage paints a picture of authority in the idiom of Christ that is full, wise, and beautiful.  Returning to it three times a year as I read through the Rule clears my vision and strengthens my intention.  Inasmuch as I am called by God into positions of leadership, I desire to lead in this manner and no other.

A poignant example from this passage of our Father Benedict's vision of authority:
Taking [Scriptural] examples of discretion, the mother of virtues, 
let her so temper all things  that the strong may have something to strive after, and the weak may not fall back in dismay.
And again:
Let her know that her duty is rather to profit her sisters than to preside over them. She must therefore be learned in the divine law, that she may have a treasure of knowledge from which to bring forth new things and old. 
And remembering our host parish priest, Fr. Gil, and his modeling of "non-anxious presence" in our midst:
Let her not be excitable and worried, nor exacting and headstrong, nor jealous and over-suspicious; for then she is never at rest.  
Thanks be to God for wisdom that has cleared a path for us to walk and for those in whose footsteps we can place our own unsteady feet.

Br. Chad 2012

1 comment:

  1. On page 166 of this reading, the lead by example really comes out as the theme of the Rule for me.
    ...what we cannot model, we cannot expect, not from children, not of the professionals that work for us, not even the people who love us enough to marry us. The people around us can only take our emotional battering only so long."

    I was taught in childhood often to" do what I say because I'm your Mother."
    It seems easy sometimes in my search for personal recognition to be a know it all about something that i have done for a long time. Recognizing potential in other people is what i see as the central thought of this chapter of the Rule.
    Thus, I am led away from look at me and how good a leader, singer,cook, whatever I Am and into seeing how talented and blessed with gifts of spirit or art...or prayer those around me are being every day.
    Their gifts of the spirit and mine work in harmony to raise consistent praise to God. We are all equal in God's eyes; we just have different jobs to do for the kingdom.
    In Jesus,
    Brother Rawleigh

    ReplyDelete